Wednesday, June 9, 2010

#3 - Nursing Cover

When I was pregnant, I compiled the large list of items we'd need to buy. On that list were 'necessities' and 'wants'. A nursing cover was on the 'want' list. It seemed a bit indulgent to purchase a glorified apron when a receiving blanket would do the trick. However the more I read, the more I was convinced that it needed to cross over from the 'want' list and become and a necessity. Andrew's mom made the decision a moot point by buying one for me. It is easily one of best baby related gifts I received.

I love my nursing cover!! It is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. Looking back, it has made nursing so easy. Silly as it may sound, I feel my nursing cover has helped ease me into motherhood. While I was still figuring nursing out, the apron style kept me covered while juggling my newborn. It allows me to comfortably nurse in public and in front of family. It acts as a block from the wind and sun when nursing outside. And, now that Ember is older and the world is such a fascinating place to look at, the cover blocks distractions and helps her focus on the task at hand.



Andrew and I still manage to do everything we did before having a baby. That means enjoying meals out, taking in a rugby game at the club and taking day trips. For me, the nursing cover makes me more comfortable and therein all of the aforementioned easier. It's not necessary all the time but I feel a lot better knowing I have it with me at all times.

*I know a lot of women out there feel a cover is unnecessary. I'm not trying suggest that you NEED to cover up. Breastfeeding is nothing you should feel ashamed of or the need to hide - it's a beautiful thing.
*My nursing cover is a Peanut Shell in Park Avenue.
*A huge bonus of the apron, it acts as a giant bib when nursing during meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment