Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Twenty Eighth Year

Now, more than ever, a mental list is compiling of things I'd like to achieve in a somewhat timely fashion and of course, it's harder than ever to effectively get things done for myself.

So, as this is my first birthday since becoming a mummy, I feel it's paramount to set the tone of prioritizing me from time to time. Without returning to work, I fear that I may get lost in the shuffle and become too much of a mum and quit working on me. In the efforts of prioritizing me, I've created a list of 28 things I'd like to accomplish in my 28th year.

I have 365 days to:

1. Take a photo a day for 365 days to act as a journal of our family. Bind in book at end of year. Inspired by Wendolonia's Project 365.
2. Properly learn to knit. Complete a lace scarf.
3. Catch up and complete Ember's baby book.
4. Learn to sew and sew myself a skirt, a dress for Ember, and re-usable grocery & produce bags.
5. Run 10 kilometres.
6. Swim 600 metres in 15 minutes
7. Make ricotta, yogurt, mayonnaise, sour cream
8. Bake bread (sans machine), pretzels, bagels, croissants, challah bread and crumpets.
9. Make pulled pork sandwiches from scratch.
10. Make pasta from scratch
11. Find the perfect concealer
12. Snowshoe in Jasper National Park with my family.
13. Make authentic marinara sauce - my current sauce just isn't cutting it.
14. Colour my hair for the first time EVER - just highlights and/or lowlights.
15. Start a new tradition as a family.
16. Paint the kitchen.
17. Start planters on the balcony.
18. Make ice cream and create a new flavour.
19. Take Ember to the Vancouver Aquarium.
20. Learn how to tie a tie.
21. Learn how to fold a fitted sheet.
22. Organize all the photos on my hard drive and back them up weekly!
23. Make jam with BC berries.
24. Begin compiling (handwritten) our family's favourite recipes in a notebook.
25. Re-purpose old sheets and clothes - sew cloth napkins and rags. Stop buying paper towels.
26. Create a budget and stick to it.
27. Go away with Andrew for a night.
28. Learn the rules of my man's sport, rugby.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I totally agree with you. It is so important to carve time out for yourself amidst all the things to do and the tiring moments and the fun baby milestones. I found this to be a bit of a struggle at first but soon really made a space for myself. I found it was also easier to find 'me' when I had chances to go out and meet girlfriends for dinner sans baby. That was a great milestone for me ;)

    ReplyDelete