Friday, May 14, 2010

Learning to Self Soothe

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how Ember is a pretty pathetic napper. I admitted then my guilt in the issue and still recognize it.

While in Ontario, napping went really well. Whining is always the tell-tale sign that Ember is ready for some shut-eye, and whenever a 'waa' rolled out, upstairs Ember and I went where she nursed to sleep. She often napped alone for an hour and a half at a time; something perfectly unheard of when not in a moving vehicle or snuggled close on a lap.

Now that we're home, we're back to the struggle. I'm working hard to instill some good sleeping habits but Ember is resisting my attempts. In an effort to hold my ground, I have reached the 'let her cry it out' strategy. When Ember was younger, I was strongly against this method since her needs were so basic. Now, however, I feel like if she doesn't develop good sleeping habits, I may snap. We're on a slippery slope. At five months old, something has to change or I fear this may the norm when she's two or worse, ten.

As I type this, Ember is working the crocodile cry in her bed. You know the one - no tears, lots of pitchy wails that are saying, "you don't love meeeee" - or at least that's how I hear it.

Rationally, I know she is fine, she knows she is loved and is in a safe place. She will learn to comfort herself and hopefully grab some shut eye, or at the very least have some quiet time.

Irrationally, I'm torturing her. She will grow up to be insecure and have abandonment issues. (FYI: I tend to live in this head space more than I'd like to admit).

Who's really learning to self soothe here? Hmm, she's still crying. It's been seven minutes. I'm calling Andrew - I need someone to give me strength and soothe my nerves.

1 comment:

  1. My boy was a terrible sleeper at night and for naps. We had lots of 45 minute naps and that was it. I was really struggling with this and found it so challenging. He was like this from birth to about 14 months. I felt like everyones baby slept so well except for mine. So crazy.
    I did nothing (nothing!) different than what we had always done (soothe, comfort, repeat) and he now is known for 3 hour day time naps and quiet peaceful nighttime sleep with no wakings. He did it on his own at his own pace.
    I know the struggle where you just want *something* to work and help your baby sleep. Your baby is still wee so don't fret that she will be a terrible sleeper forever. I know how hard it is to see the light at the end of the tunnel but it will come.

    ReplyDelete